Japanese idol group, THE BANANA MONKEYS, have been facing heavy scrutiny for a controversial fan-service they have been providing.
Members of the group would meet with fans and provide a service in which they would put a clear acrylic plate between themselves and the fan. They would then kiss the plate together, mimicking a real kiss.
The problem is, many of the girls in the group are underage. One of the girls is said to be a 14-year-old middle school student.
Some of the kisses were light pecks, while other kisses were heavy and borderline sexual.
There were some people that actually tried to defend the fan-service.
- “The members themselves have huge smiles on their face. What’s the problem”
- “The clear acrylic plate is protecting them from actually making contact.”
But the overall response from netizens was that of anger, deeming the actions sexual harassment.
- “It is the law to protect underaged citizens. Why would they do this”
- “This looks a lot like sexual harassment.”
- “What is their agency doing? Why would they even allow this to happen?”
This is not the only time THE BANANA MONKEYS have caused controversy. They have provided various fan-services that were considered questionable, like brushing the teeth of a shirtless fan.
You can watch some of their controversial stunts in one of their music videos below: